Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Spring is getting here!!!

Okay... so I've been a slacker with this blog most of the winter... but spring is here and last weekend I was able to get my garden bed ready. I'm going to plant some different things this year... but this weekend I am going to plant my snap peas, spinach, lettuce, radishes, onions and beets. I also learned about staggering... I don't know why I didn't think of this last year so that I could spread out the harvest a little more. The other things I am going to plant will be beans, tomatoes, peppers, zucchini, cucumbers...

Last October I canned tomatoes, peaches and applesauce and they turned out to be real useful. So I am going to plant tomatoes this year. In fact, I picked up a package of seeds for tangerine mama.. they are orange tomatoes that have less seeds and aren't as gooey... I planted them in a little planter to get them started. I also planted some Basil to get that started.

So I picked up the pot to water the basil and out of the corner of my eye I see my son take the pot with tomato seeds and pour it into this big pot that I had sitting nearby. The soil I used had little white specs in it as well so there was no getting the seeds back. I think I did cry for a second. I put all the soil back in the pot and I'm going to hope for the best.

I'm also going to join a CSA that will deliver weekly to my husband's workplace. It's $255 for a 1/2 share for the season and it breaks down to about $15/week. Plus it will be neat to have a surprise of the items that we'll receive.

All right, well I should be posting more often now. I even took the winter off from the Farmer's Market. But I'm gonna get back to posting my weekly finds.

No comments: