Monday, October 6, 2008

Carrot Cupcakes from my garden

Hi there. I've been doing a lot of cooking over the past week, and should have about 5 posts here soon. The first thing was to figure out what to do with some of the carrots from my garden.I haven't had carrot cake in so long. I thought it would be nice to do cupcakes because then I could share them with family and I wouldn't have to be stuck eating them all.

I went on a search for a recipe and came across a nice one from "Taste and Tell". Here are what my cooked cakes looked like.

The recipe was so easy and it tasted phenomenal. It was sweet enough, but not too sweet. Here is my end product. I think my picture taking skills are improving some, I actually messed around with some of my settings...



And here is the recipe:

Carrot Cupcakes

Cake:

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup oil
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 cups grated carrots
  • 1 cup unsifted flour
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp soda
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/4 cup ground coconut
  • 1/4 cup nuts (optional - I left this out for my little guy)
  • 1/4 cup raisin

Preheat oven to 400F. Combine sugar and oil in large mixing bowl. Add eggs; mix well. Add grated carrots. Slowly stir in sifted dry ingredients. Add coconut, nuts, and raisins and mix well. Pour batter into cupcake pan filling almost until the top. Bake for about 20 mins until inserted toothpick comes out clean. When cool decorate with frosting.

Frosting:

  • 1 - 8oz package of cream cheese, softened
  • 1/4 c butter or margarine
  • 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
  • Hot water, as needed

Cream together cream cheese, butter and sugar in mixing bowl. Add a little hot water, one tsp at a time, until you reach desired consistency.

-- I only used 1 tsp. I like frosting thick, but I was still able to put it in my Pampered Chef thingy.

Enjoy.. let me know what you think!

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

Ooh, yum! Those look great. And how neat that you were able to use home-grown carrots! I love being able to use produce from my garden when I cook (though thanks to my garden, I'm pretty much limited to yellow squash).