Monday, June 23, 2008

Picking Strawberries

If you can't go organic, go local.

I figured I would drag my husband and son to go strawberry picking with me. It was a good thing because I wouldn't have been able to handle Zach all by myself. He would pick strawberries and eat them. He also tried to steal them out of my container. And if I had wanted to take pictures, forget it!
We managed to get 3 quarts out of the deal.



x 3



At this nice fruit stand that we went to, I was prepared to pay $4.00/qt because that is what the sign said out front. Imagine my surprise when they only charged me $6.70 for all 3. Makes sense, I mean I did give them free labor after all.

Now, although these strawberries are typically smaller than the California ones in the store, they are the sweetest, juiciest berries around. I have no idea how to make strawberry jam, but it's something I can plan for next year.














2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the pics of you and Zack picking strawberries. I wish there was a place around here for Skylar and I to do that. I would love the fresh grown Strawberries better than store bought any day! Who cares if there smaller! Fresh grown is always sweeter and fresher!

Tonya said...

Yum! I wish I could go with you. I love strawberries, and the kids would have so much fun picking them! Love the pictures!