Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Farmer's Market Trip - 8/2/08

I went to the Farmer's Market and met my mom and step dad there. We had so much fun. I found such a nice variety of things. They have a littlle spice stand where they sell spices, mixes, and pretty decorations for cookies. I bought some colored sugar for cookies and some Lavender. My nephew is starting kindergarten this year, so I had bought some little ABC's to put on the cookies I'm going to make for him. Spices total $4.70


I found this mortar and pestle. It was $3.00 from the little flea market stand.

I've started buying my eggs at the Farmer's Market as well. They are cage free, free range, no hormones or antibiotics. I had buying Eggland's Best at the store for approx ~$2.29. This dozen of large costs $2.50 but well worth it. Supports a local farmer and the eggs are fresh.




A couple weeks ago, I bought a similar looking pepper plant, only they were hot peppers (and they ARE hot). This is a sweet pepper plant. I haven't actually tried any yet, but the price was $2.00, so I figured I can't go wrong. I'm still trying to decide whether or not I want to leave it in a pot, or plant it in the ground.



These are some rolls. My step dad bought a dozen and the guy gave him some extras, so they generously gave me some. So this by far was the best bargain of the day. $0.00. They were good. They are very thick, we made chicken sausage sandwiches and used these. We grilled peppers and onions and served it with a pesto potato salad.




And, the rest of my treasure.
Mushrooms ( a bunch) .............$2.00
Sweet potato (1)........................$ .50
Zucchini (1)...............................$ .35
Plums (~10)...............................free (split them with mom)
Limes (4)...................................$1.00
Peaches (6).............................. $3.00
Cucumbers (3)..........................$1.00
Pattypan squash (5)..................$1.35
Red peppers (5).........................$2.00

Total - $23.40

I rarely buy mushrooms, but I've been wanting to make homemade veggie burgers. I have a sweet potato salad idea in my head that I'm going to try to figure out and post. The red peppers were disappointing because when I got them home, parts of them were rotting.

1 comment:

Stephanie said...

What wonderful finds! Our local farmer's market is on Wednesday evenings - and I ALWAYS forget about it until later that evening, when it's already closed! I have been planning to go for weeks, and still have yet to make it there.

I love the little mortar and pestle. I'm going to get me a set one of these days.