Friday, July 25, 2008

Pesto!

Okay... I'm way behind in my posts. We are currently putting a deck on our house. I've been waiting for this since 4 years ago when we moved in. So, Mike's time has been spent on that, which gives me custody of Zach all weekend. It's exhausting but more than that, I don't get very much time to have a single thought, let alone get on the computer.


So, I finally made the pesto using the basil from last week's farmer's market purchases. It was very tasty. I made some organic wheat pasta and mixed the pesto in it. I sprinkled a little bit of low fat cheese on it too, and served it with a salad.



It was very simple to make, although you really need a food processor, or a blender might work.

Here is the recipe:

Classic Pesto: (from homecooking.about.com)

2 tbsp coarsely chopped walnuts or pine nuts. (I used half and half)
2 garlic cloves, peeled
3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 cups basil leaves (about 4 ozs)
1/2c (2 ozs) grated Parmesan Cheese
1/4 tsp salt

1. With the motor running, drop the pine/walnuts and garlic into the food processor. Process until finely minced.
2. Add the olive oil and pulse 3 times.
3. Add basil, parmesan cheese and salt.
4. Process until finely minced, scraping down sides.

You can also put in ice cube tray and freeze cubes for later use.

No comments: