Sunday, July 13, 2008

Recipes inspired by the Farmer's Market!



This post is tardy. I made this last weekend. It's Zucchini Fritters (with a cucumber dip) and Apple Nut Couscous. The Zucchini Fritter recipes I got from Simply Recipes. The only change I made was that I added some chopped fresh basil. The cucumber dip and couscous recipe I came up with on my own. I apologize for the picture quality. We have a new camera and I'm still trying to figure out how it works. I used the Zucchini, scallions and basil from the Farmer's market in the fritters. Last week I bought a huge amount of apples, which inspired the couscous. It basically has apples, strawberries from the market and some walnut and almonds chopped into it.

Zucchini Fritters - From Simply Recipes

1 lb Zucchini (about 2 medium), coarsely grated
Kosher salt
Ground black pepper
1 large egg
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/2 c all-purpose flour (I used organic whole wheat flour)
1/2 grape seed oil or olive oil (I used canola)

1. Salt the Zucchini with about 1 tsp salt. Try to remove excess moisture. I patted it down with paper towels.
2. Whisk egg in a large bowl; add zucchini, flour, scallions and 1/4 tsp of pepper. Mix to combine.
3. Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Cook fritters into 2 batches. Drop six mounds of batter (2tbsp each) into the skillet. Flatten slightly. Cook, turning once, until browned 4-6 minutes on each side. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
Serve immediately.

Cucumber dipping sauce

1/2 c plain yogurt (I used organic)
1/2 c lite sour cream
1/2 cucumber, sliced
1/2 c basil and cilantro
1 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper

Mix all of the ingredients in food processor. Chill several hours before using to allow flavors to blend. You can add or delete any of the seasoning to make it your preference.

Apple/Nut Couscous

1 box of instant couscous (7 oz) ( I used Near East, whole grain)
2 apples, diced
2 tsp lemon juice
1/2c strawberries, finely chopped
1/2c almonds, finely chopped
1/2c walnuts, finely chopped.
1/4c olive oil
2 tsp ground cinnamon

1. Cook couscous per directions on box. Drain and add 1/4c olive oil. Set aside.
2. After chopping apples, place in a bowl of water combined with lemon juice. Soak for 5 minutes.
3. Combine couscous, apples, strawberries, almonds, walnuts and cinnamon together. If it seems dry, add more olive oil. Serve warm or cold.

No comments: